Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager - NH - Concord Group Insurance
Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager - NH
Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager Breadcrumb
Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager Description
Reporting to the VP of Commercial Lines, the Underwriting Manager’s central focus is on growing and sustaining a profitable book of new and renewal business. This position will also take an active role in strategic planning to develop and implement an underwriting strategy that determines profitable market opportunities and new product offerings.
- Accountable for achieving profit and growth targets while leading a team of underwriters. Effectively manage through coaching and creating a streamlined underwriting process that fosters a high performing, consistent and collaborative team environment.
- Evaluate submissions and make decisions based on individual risk characteristics, hazard recognition, and exposure analysis. Accepts, rejects or modifies new and renewal business to maintain a profitable book of business, within delegated authority levels.
- Ensure underwriting practices and guidelines are understood and adhered to, specifically regarding pricing, risk selection, mix of business, flow management and quality analysis.
- Apply creativity and underwriting knowledge to write risks and retain business.
- Communicate effectively with our agents regarding appetite, risk selection parameters, geographic issues as well as agency specific metrics related to long term profitable production.
- Collaborate with key internal business partners to develop market strategies, fostering clarity of vision across all departments.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of area-specific data to ensure changes in competitiveness and profitability are anticipated.
- Utilize QA and referral programs to identify opportunities to develop staff to ensure functional and regulatory integrity of the book of business.
- Assist with the process of attracting, selecting and developing high caliber talent.
- Other duties as required.
- Expand leadership skills and knowledge in the areas of underwriting, various business reports related to book management which will include loss data, production activity as well as quality assurance results, and human resources to prepare for positions requiring increased responsibility.
- 10+ years of experience in underwriting, marketing, and management.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Prior supervisory experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of Commercial Automobile, BOP, Umbrella, and Workers’ Compensation coverages required.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to think strategically, implement change, and influence key business stakeholders.
- Drive-for-results mentality, with ability to multi-task and make decisions in a business context.
- BS/BA degree required; Master’s degree and/or insurance designation a plus.
- Ability to travel as needed.
We have an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, 401k, life insurance, vacation, paid holidays, and many others. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume in confidence by email to: HR@concordgroupins.com. Please put the title of the job on the “subject”. Cover letters should be addressed as follows: Attn: Human Resources, The Concord Group Insurance Co., 4 Bouton Street, Concord NH 03301.
The Concord Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Concord Group participates in E-Verify.